Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Happy and Healthy Contract II

**UPDATE**

For once in my life, I feel I am doing extremely well with my plan! I haven’t struggled much at all with my eating and working out, and due to the FitLinxx program at the Y where I can track my workouts, I am finding it fun and energizing!

I’m not sure if I mentioned this in my other note/blog, but the Y has a “Top 25” list in different areas where it’s tracked by FitLinxx. The areas are: CV time, weight lifted, FitPoints and days worked out. I first started tracking in April and although I made the list, I found that I was only burning about 200-300 calories each day by walking (e.g., no lost weight). I’m SO happy that I had the FitLinxx program, as an email mapped it all out and I saw it in black and white. If I didn’t have that info, I would have thought my body was just too old or didn’t have the capacity to lose weight! Can you imagine where I’d be now?? When I saw that, it was obvious, I had to work up my CV to get the weight off. Walking was helpful, but it was only keeping me stable.

What did I decide to do? A running program: Couch to 5K. May not sound too crazy, but for me, it surely was. LONG DISTANCE RUNNING? I’ve always told myself I wasn’t a long distance runner.. I figured out this weekend that I did this due to a coach in Middle School telling me that I was more of a sprinter.. there you go. I never even tried any long distance running as I became good at short distance running and relay. Fast-forward 25+ years later, here I am with a bunch of new moms and babies on a 6 mile walk that ended up 8!! I thought I’d be in rough shape the next day, but all I was, was energized! That one walk totally transformed my way of thinking about my body and what it could do (thanks Shari!). Add in getting new running shoes and a new stroller that is designed for more long distance walks and you have a plan for success!

After reviewing a bunch of the 5K programs out there, it was recommended to me by Sue R. to look at the Couch to 5K program. I decided to download the app for my iPhone and found it a lot of fun! I’m on week 3 (out of 5) right now and I’m not having any issues running. I have done 99% of my training on the treadmill, but even my one run outside didn’t cause me any problems. I’m on my way!

I decided to add the 2010 Turkey Trot on my radar as it’s a 5K and I can definitely get trained for November. It would be nice to find something a bit earlier as it can be really COLD in November in Boston, but I’ll do it if nothing else comes up.

FYI, in April, I made 3 out of 4 categories on the Y’s Big Board.. and all in the top 5! I was floored and very proud. In May, I did the same, but all in the top 20 due to my week of illness and doing nothing for 5-6 days. Either way, I’m extremely proud and am learning very quickly what motivates me (not that I didn’t know), but these include:
•    Technology
•    Tracking/Stats
•    Simple entering of data
•    Ease of tracking
•    Music (for runs)
•    A bit of competition (i.e., Y’s Big Board)
•    Clear goals
•    Accountability (this blog)

Below are the updates on my plan and possible changes.

March 25, 2010 GOAL:
Lose 12 pounds by July 1. Feel good to be in a bikini again :)

AS OF 6.6.10:
Lost 7

1. Workout at least 5X per week (min 45 minutes)--work to 6x per week or more. Find times I can actually schedule in calendar.
(Workouts include: Wii Fit, Wii FitPlus, Golds Gym Wii game, Let's Dance game, gym cardio workout-machines, gym workout-aerobics, walk with Jackie/others, power yoga)

I have not scheduled everything into my calendar, but have found the initiative to go to the Y, yoga, walk, run outside on my own. This in itself a major win.

-In April, I went out on a walk almost daily. Realized I was not burning the calories I needed to via FitLinxx tracking. Decided to start a running program in May.

-In May I averaged 4X a week, but was out of commission 5-6 days due to illness.


2. 50 situps a day minimum.
This has not happened. I have implemented a “star program” where I put a star on the calendar each day I do this. It does encourage me, but I may need to get more in the mode of “situps when I think about it” and see how that goes. April I did extremely well with this. Once I got sick in May, it fell off my radar unless I was at the Y or yoga.

3. When out walking, etc. do not buy food (drinks are OK if tea or low fat).
I have been up and down with this. April was great. May not so much, but I did research the calorie, fat, etc. chart with Starbucks and I know the cals for my favorite foods and if I do get something, stick with the low cal/low sugar options.

4. Reduce sugar in diet slowly.
This I feel I have done. I don’t have much of a craving for sugar, but still need to keep an eye on this and keep track a bit more.

5. Take out sugary breakfasts 2X per week, each week. Allowed one sugary breakfast a week in the end.
Took this out completely and had no issues.

6. Meet with fitness director at YMCA to go over fit program at gym within next 2 weeks (3 free).
I did this in April and found a great trainer there that I connected with. Went twice and still have the last free one to use. I got set up on the FitLinxx system and use the machines I would normally use for workouts and circuit. Still have to set up other machines I’m not used to using. Will be setting up my last session with Todd to see if I can get any other pointers. Have considered taking on the training sessions if I stabilize at some point, possibly in the Fall.

7. When walking, increase rate of walking. Add additional loop when possible (around neighborhood or walk farther into town).
I don’t think I have upped the rate of my walking, but have found alternate routes where I do at least 2 miles on any given walk. Many of the 3-4 mile walks include hills.

8. Look to set up a mom/baby walk once a week to walk with a group.
This has not happened. It has been quite difficult hooking up with other moms due to various things. I did have a playdate setup with a friend weekly, but due to other circumstances we did not walk each week. Will ask her again to see if she wants to take on a weekly walk or at least twice a month. Will seek out others as weather is continuing to get better.

9. Make sure I have greens at lunch and dinner.
Have not had greens/salads for lunch and dinner. Tends to happen once a day.

10. Focus on healthy meals, even if they need to be quick.
This has been tougher as we tend to eat dinner late. “Healthy” to start would be “make at home.” Even mac n’ cheese at home (we use organic brands) is better than picking up McDonalds. Continually want to make a food calendar but not inspired to do it. Need suggestions on quick, healthy meals. Please post in comments with ideas.

11. Snack wisely (go for fruits and veggies instead of sugar or processed snacks).
Definitely have been focusing on grabbing fruit, granola bars. Making fruit salad more often. Have been focused on low fat/healthier snacks when needed.

12. Record daily food and activity on the iPhone app I paid for :)
I have not been doing this. I think I have felt OK about food and honestly have been eating much less since I was sick. Bad thing is that I’m not eating if I don’t find anything good. Need to have some sort of healthy snack list to go by even if I do have to skip a meal.


Other things to think about:
1. Buy Sketcher Shape-ups
Bought new running shoes instead.

2. Buy pedometer
Did this with suggestion on model from Mary C.. I love it!

3. Consider personal training sessions (discount happening at Y)
I did consider this and decided to use the 3 free I have first, work on my own and then check back in with myself on goal date.


Other things I have added:
•    Tracking on calendar; up in kitchen
•    Added “I Just Ran/Walked” app to toolbox
•    Stars for ab workouts
•    Took on volunteering at yoga studio again so have once a week yoga scheduled (easy 500 cals burned)

No comments: