Thursday, September 9, 2010

Are You Ready for Some Football?!?!

Ahhh Football Season. How I love thee.. let's not count the ways.

Every year at this time, my husband has that gleam in his eye, huge smile about his face.. and the jerseys come out to play. That's how I know it's Football Season. Well, actually, I know a bit earlier as he watches the draft in the Summer and runs a Fantasy Football League that starts in August, but I mostly know when there's the first Thursday game and he's counting down the days (or minutes) till kick off.

It's always been a mixed blessing for me. I definitely like my "me" time and this extra time has allowed me to do things I wouldn't normally do, or basically I don't have to "ask" to go do whatever it was because he was in front of the TV all day on Sunday watching games. But now, things have changed a bit due to Jax.

For example, last year was interesting. Jax was a newborn and I basically thought I'd be imprisoned here in the condo, forced to watch football on the only TV we have, while waiting to see when she wanted to be fed. It turned out that my DH was more than willing to share time, and in fact, she was  with him upstairs at our neighbors much of the season. (So, yes, people that are anti-TV, my little, baby daughter logged over 100 hours of prime time sacks, but at least Mom got some time to chill out!) Granted she slept a lot of the time, but overall, it was good for everyone.

Fast forward to this year, we now have a full-blown Toddler (yes, the capital T is intentional). She's still awesome as ever, but now, really doesn't sleep 20 hours a day. She's got her naps, but this year will be challenging. Luckily, my DH's best football buddy is also our upstairs neighbor, so that means she's there, or she's sleeping here in our place while he has the monitor upstairs (yup, we have a small place).

In the end, it really says a lot about our partnership and marriage. Rarely do either of us say no to requests and when a "no" does come up, it's discussed. It still may be a mixed blessing and I'll continue to get some of my "me" time, such as tonight. Baby is sleeping, DH is upstairs--I get to write a blog. Not that it wouldn't have happened anyway, but hearing the crickets outside our window on this almost Fall night vs. hearing screaming fans on TV and watching my husband be Jr. Field Ref makes it a much easier environment to write in.

Part of me feels badly by writing all this.. I don't mean to make my husband look horrible in any way. Football is his passion and I'm glad he has one. I've got my own passions (or heavy likes) and 99% of the time I get to do them, even during football season. I am very lucky that I have a man that respects my time and space (seeing that we live in such a small one), so I really can't complain.

Luckily for him though, the Red Sox season is basically over (don't even talk to me about that) so sharing the TV after a couple weeks won't be much of a problem and we won't have to throw down to determine who will watch what at what time. But like I said: "mixed blessing." I'll continue to create "being surprised" at what may come up this season and maybe I'll have that gleam in my eye and smile on my face sometime this Fall, but unfortunately for my DH, it won't be about football :) Sorry, honey!

No comments: