Monday, February 25, 2008

80s Metal is NOT Dead!

One of my dreams came true, and a regret faded, when I got to see Winger live last year at Harpers Ferry in Boston. To rewind a bit, there were three live music regrets that I have had since the 80s:

1) Missing the Police live on the Synchronicity tour when I could have seen them in 1987,
2) Seeing The Cars live in 1985,
3) Seeing Winger live in 1987.

Winger got missed mainly due to not many of my friends being into metal, or I should say, none of them. I liked Motley Crue, Winger, Guns and Roses, etc. for many reasons, but I never saw any of them live.

In the past few years, many of these bands (metal or otherwise) have reformed (e.g., Motley Crue, The Police) and I ended up seeing them and rocking like nobody's business, but Winger? I just wasn't sure if my dream would come true (minus the spandex).

For those that don't know Winger's history or personnel, Kip Winger was, and is, the lead singer of the band, and after the band broke up in the early 90s, he started a solo career. Unfortunately, those albums didn't get much PR, but I can tell you they are works of art. My friend and coworker, Matt, who not only was taught at Berklee by Rod Morgenstein, the drummer of Winger, but was also a huge Winger fan even before he attended school. He had all of Kip's solo albums on his shared iTunes at work, and I fell in love again. I couldn't believe I had missed all that music over the years, but as they say, "better late then never."

Fast forward to last year, Matt and I found out at just about the same time that Winger was BACK IN THE STUDIO RECORDING ANOTHER ALBUM. We were stunned. Did I read that right?? BACK IN THE STUDIO?? Yes, it was true. Winger IV was to be released, and the stuff was well, ROCKIN'! As with any good band, studio time means tour shortly after, and it wasn't that many weeks later that we got that news of a tour! Needless to say, I was freaking out! Another regret erased!

I had no idea what to expect that night (we were also one of the first dates on the tour), but seeing that Kip had been recording all these years, it's not like he hadn't been singing and just walked back on stage, older and not in tune. It was very much the opposite.

That night, in February 2007, I was blown away. Not only had I rekindled my love for the band, but that show made me a fan for life. Kip looked and sounded amazing, and Reb (lead guitar), Rod (drums) and John (guitars) were just as great. I was lucky enough to be right in front of Reb while he played that night, and it was beyond mind-blowing to see a Shredder play that close. Fingers flying up and down the neck of the guitar like it was nothing. At points he was playing so fast his fingers blurred, all the while the rest of the band, tight as could be, flying along right beside him.

Fast forward to this past Thursday, the scene wasn't much different, other than the venue. I do have to say that I like the Harpers venue better than The Middle East, but The MidEast is almost like a second home to me due to all the shows I have seen there and participated in. But needless to say, Kip and crew were spot on, rested, happy, and truly extraordinary. A smile from Reb, and a fist to fist "hello" from Kip during the show made my night. Not to mention, a couple buddies Joe and I met last year at the show rockin' it up front again!

I did one thing that I usually don't do, and adhered to the sign at the front of the venue stating: "At the request of the artist, photography, video, etc. is strictly prohibited." Awesome. Well, due to being so close, I decided to just enjoy the show with all my might, and stopped myself from taking pictures. I did find a few pics from the show the night before that I will post here.

Kip and Reb:


Kip on his electric acoustic:


Here also is an amazing "action shot" of Kip from last years show courtesy of Susan Thorsen:



What can I say? The crowd was great, I mingled with and met some great fans, and the band was nothing less than amazing. I'm already looking forward to the next time, and I'm happy to say with confidence, there WILL be a next time!

Metal, baby. 80s Metal will NEVER die!

I love you, Kip!


2008 Winger Setlist:

1. Blind Revolution Mad
2. Loosen Up
3. Easy Come, Easy Go
4. Your Great Escape
5. Down Incognito
6. Rainbow in the Rose
7. Generica
8. Junkyard Dog
9.Right Up Ahead
**Reb Solo**
10.You Are the Saint, I Am the Sinner
**Rod Solo**
11. Headed for a Heartbreak
12. Can’t Get Enuff

ENCORE:
13. Who’s the One
14. Miles Away
15. Madalaine

No comments: